Sunday, October 02, 2005

How I use the Internet

These days I use it mostly to soak up information - Wikipedia, Googling for library docs, that sort of thing. My experience witht he internet started back in '94 (I think) with a dial-up account from a local ISP that dropped me in a UNIX shell (I had no idea what that was at the time). My fondest memories are reading sci-fi newsgroups in tin and downloading peoples' D&D mods from various ftp sites. I also remember downloading alot of 'demos' from people like Future Crew... I'm sure nobody remembers those now at all. They were kind of a first stab at enthusiast animation and music.

3 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Paolo said...

The internet has become a great resource for information on possibly everything. And while there is a great amount of plausible information, it is necessary to view it with some caution since it is possible for anyone to post on the internet. As for my activities online, I use the internet for many things such as checking email, accessing class websites, shopping, and one of my favorites, reading and writing on automotive forums. Being a car guy, and having a 70 camaro, I have found online forums where I can ask questions and recieve answers from thousands of other enthusiasts with the same car. This has helped me numerous times to troubleshoot and make decisions on what to buy or how to fix. something.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Hélène said...

The web is my playground. When I was wee, my dad would take me on his lap and show me all the places[servers] that his e-mail had been to before reaching our house -- I have always known the Internet. It is, for me, the most natural way to find information on virtually any topic and also the best way for me to share all sorts of things with others. It also allows me to stay in touch with the friends I have spread out all over the world.

I also constantly use the Internet for work whether it be to check a coworker's schedule to see if they are available or to find out what tasks I need to complete. Being connected also allows for collaborative programming work and participation in distributed computing projects, which are very cool.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Chris D said...

I first saw the internet when my grandparents got AOL sometime in like 96. I never really used the inter net much until my family got it in like 2001. I can't believe how much easier it is to find information about obscure topics. Especially if you live in a small town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home